Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Zucchini Cornbread Bake

This is the yummiest and super easiest, hearty side dish. In fact it was so well loved at our house that we ate it all before I even took a picture, and I'll be sure to double this when I make it again.

The cast of characters:


2-3 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 t salt
1 package cornbread mix (I used the 6.5 ounce Betty Crocker)
1/2 c chopped onion
1/2 c corn kernels
2 eggs
1/4 t ground pepper
8 ounces shredded cheese


350 degrees for 1 hour. (Yes, really--one whole hour)

Salt the shredded zucchini, and let it sit in a colander to remove excess moisture. Then stir everything together, except for a handful of cheese. Pour into a well-greased pan and bake. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top for the last 15 minutes of baking. Remove from oven and eat the whole pan in ten minutes. You don't really have to do that part, but I'm telling you that you will want to.

This comes out with a texture more like polenta, but it holds together well for cutting into squares. My not quite as food savvy husband described this as being like quiche, but not like quiche. I like this because I think there's great versatility to work with. Add bacon or sausage and it's a breakfast casserole. Put in some cayenne and use pepper jack cheese and serve it with black bean soup.

Foodie news flash: The big O has become an expert egg cracker. This is exciting stuff, but it means he wants to make cake all the time now!



1 comment:

  1. I love your recipes here Amie, but your photos here are just so cute! I love the little hand grabbing some cheese on the first photo and i love the smile on big O's face when he cracked that egg :)

    ReplyDelete